Hello and welcome to my London life! Considering the fact that it’s practically par for the course these days for college students and 20-somethings living abroad to keep blogs of their international adventures, I figured I would follow suit. I’m not promising this will be the most thrilling or regularly updated blog, but at least it will keep those who are interested informed about what I’m up to across the pond!
What AM I up to across the pond, you might ask? Well, like many other recent college grads, this summer I was living at home, mooching off my parents, and enduring the frustration of looking for that first, full-time, 9-to-5 job. One day my cousin Beth, who lives in London, called me up and offered me a job. Would I like to come to London for 3 months and be a nanny for her baby half the week and intern in her office in the House of Commons half the week? Yes, please! And just like that, all my distress about not having a job vanished—at least for the time being. Time to become a Real Person with a Real Job!
Fast forward a month and a half later, and here I am in London! I left home in Dalton on August 31, and after approximately 20 long and uneventful hours in transit, I arrived in the UK on September 1 and will be here until December 1. I live with Beth, her husband Josh, and their baby Xavier, who is 10 ½ months old. I will be spending 2 days a week interning in the House of Commons and 2-2 ½ days being Molly Poppins for Xavier, leaving weekends free for enjoying London! I’m also hoping to meet people through the Georgetown alumni network in London, and I’m already planning on going to one of their events next week. I’ve spent the past few days getting settled here, wandering the neighborhood, and learning the ropes for my two jobs, and I even got to go on my first run in Regents Park. This week my post-grad life gets started full force. Hooray for employment in foreign cities!
Wow Molly! Just Wow! That sounds so you! I predict you never leave Europe and stay there to work the rest of your life! You are so...chic! Have a good time and keep this up-to-date! Who knows? Maybe they'll make a movie of it one day!
ReplyDelete~Hannah J.
As I already told you, I very much approve of the blog name ;) Can't wait to read about your adventures from behind the pram and also from Parliament (in addition to hearing about them, claro!)!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete